Monday 20 June 2016

Design team makes....Stencils


Hello everyone ....Genny here. For todays design team make I have been playing with a stencil and trying different ways of using it. For the first make (above) I have stencilled onto black card. I first taped the stencil down and sponged through some white acrylic paint and let it dry. Then I went over it again,once dry with yellow,red and green acrylic. The white underneath made the colours really pop. It is important to not have too much paint on your sponge dabber..else it will flood under the stencil..as I found on my first attempt..lol. So put your dabber into the paint and then dab onto a spare piece of paper and then dab onto your stencil. The other important thing is to take your time and build up the colour bit by bit. When the stencilled image was dry, I went round the edges of the petals with a white pencil to give a little definition.

On the cards below I used my distress inks but twp different methods of applying. For the first one I used a blending sponge and on the second I used a stencil brush.


The distress inks I used were Worn Lipstick, Mustard Seed, Peeled Paint, Mowed Lawn and Spiced Marmalade.


As you can see, both the different methods produce a very different effect. The yellow flowered one, using a stencil brush, has a rougher texture than the blending sponge. It is important to keep your stencil brush upright and again to take your time, so that your bristles don't push under the stencil.
The blending sponge technique is my favourite. It gave a lot smoother impression and the colours looked a lot brighter. The final thing I did was edge the petals with a grey pencil and what that does is give the petals a little more definition and seems to make them pop off the page.

I'm hoping to use this stencil for another couple of techniques...shaving foam and texture paste. The texture paste I intend to make myself but for it to have a smoother texture than the one I used on the walling last week. I will share both techniques with you next week.

As always, if you need anything for your crafting..just ask Julie here at JB-Crafting Supplies. So until next week...take care and happy crafting.

No comments:

Post a Comment