Monday 6 June 2016

Design team make.....Using Texture Paste


Hello everyone...Genny here. Today's make is a canvas using texture paste and I thought it would be good to share with you all. There are lots of different types of texture paste out there, all at various prices but I was talking to a friend and she said I am sure that you could make your own...so I did.

I wanted to make quite a course texture paste that I could use through a stencil that I had that looked like a stone wall. The recipe I used was 2 tablespoons of pva, 2 tablespoons of white acrylic paint, 2 tablespoons of talcum powder and some sand. I mixed them all together, adding the sand until it became a texture that I felt that I could use through the stencil. If it feels too thick, you can add a little water..by the same token if it feels too wet either add a little more sand or talcum. Then I placed my stencil onto a small canvas and applied the texture paste...as in the picture below.




I then let it dry.. I let it dry overnight to ensure that it was thoroughly dry. Then I painted the whole canvas with some acrylic paint that I had mixed to a colour I wanted for my stone. You can alter this to suit what you want to do. You could paint it all white for example or if you had the patience you could paint the spaces between 'the stones' one colour and the stones themselves another. It all depends what effect you would like.



While the paint was drying, I stamped out some flowers and leaves and coloured them with my lyra watercolours. I then added them to the canvas. While I was playing about with my texture paste I also realised that if you just wanted the paste to be fine don't add any sand,just add more talcum powder. That will create a texture similar to a plaster finish but would also be good depending on the look you wanted. This would give you aa finish that you would be able to stamp into. The only thing that I would add is to say that it's vital that you clean everything thoroughly as soon as you've finished. I have a couple of bowls which I keep together for making the paste in and a spoon and spreader. Everything is kept together in a cupboard ready for the next time. I've also kept a jar of sand..when I asked my friend for a jar of sand he was intrigued to what I was going to do..lol


I hope that you like the finished project and that you will have a go at making your own texture paste. For anything you need or want, please pop over to speak to Julie. I know that she stocks some brilliant acrylic paints in case you need any. So until next time..take care and happy crafting.

No comments:

Post a Comment