Wednesday 12 February 2014

Hello sailor! From a newbie!

Hello all you JB Crafting Fans!

As my first post as DT with JB Crafting I was given this lovely Digi stamp, sentiment and some fun stripy background paper by Adele Bradwell! Arent they great? I love the vintage vibe I get from them.


Since you don't know me yet I will let you in on a secret...... I am a complete newbie with it comes to digis. Its not my favourite because I like the feel of an actual stamp. However, as a digital designer myself, I regret not being into it more because every once in a while you come across a really amazing little character like this beauty. I am a fan of pin up art and the sailor theme was just too perfect. Of course you cant stray much from the red white and blue of a typical sailors outfit so I stuck with that. It helped that the paper matched ;).

I printed out my background onto some white cardstock and overlaid the sentiment on top of the sailor girl with my photo editing software before printing 2 of her as well. Always print more than one, just in case! For me its a good thing I did as I prefer to work with watercolours and it takes some skill to use watercolour on non-watercolour paper without it warping too much. So obviously I practiced on one and in the end used a mixture of water painting and straight colouring with my distress markers.

I wanted to give the anchor a little more than just colour. I really wanted it to pop out and give it some texture. So after I had finished all of my colouring I used an embossing pen in sections and embossed my anchor with Stampendous fran-tage AGED SILVER embossing enamel. Unfortunately at this point my heat tool overheated on my and with my impatience I filled in the unembossed sections with brushed pewter distress stain. This worked out fairly well because it allowed the lines of the anchor to show through even after painted.



For the background of the card I distressed the edges with chipped sapphire distress ink and stamped a large medallion stamp and embossed with white to simulate a doily. We all love a little bit of frills don't we? This is where I adhered my pin up girl. I felt it needed just a little bit more so I stapled on a white satin ribbon and added a few little hearts that I handcut and glittered with xmas red stickles. Honestly I thought the hearts would make it feel very valentinesy... not really a word but work with me here!



So there you have it. My first DT project and one of the few I have done with digital images! I do hope you like it.
 
-Sam-

 

No comments:

Post a Comment